Volunteering will not be required for Fall 2020/Winter 2021/Spring 2021 seasons during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The parent-volunteer system has long been a cornerstone of the Riley Park Figure Skating Club. As a non-profit organization, our operations, with the exception of professional coaching and a part time administrator, are carried out by volunteers.
- The club requires a volunteer commitment from skater families with skaters involved in the Pre-Star program and up.
- Families not wishing to volunteer are to indicate this by paying the “Volunteer Opt-Out Fee” upon check-out when registering.
- When the skater is a minor (18 and under), the volunteer commitment is to be undertaken by the parent(s) of the skater.
- Upon completion of grade 12 the volunteer commitment can be undertaken by either the skater or parent(s) or a combination of both.
- In cases where the registered skater is also a coach at our club, and is no longer a minor, the volunteer commitment is still required to be completed.
- Two (2) persons from one family (husband & wife/parent & child) cannot assign themselves the same shift and be counted as two (2) shifts.
- Sharing an account with relatives (other than your immediate family) or friends is not permitted.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Volunteer Fee/Volunteer Opt Out Fee Amount
Minimum volunteer hours/credits
Hours to be completed by
|Fall 2019 & Winter 2020||$150||10||March 21, 2020|
|Winter 2020 only||TBC||March 21, 2020|
|Spring 2020||TBC||June 30, 2020|
|Summer 2020||TBC||August 12, 2020|
Volunteer participation is necessary to ensure our club functions smoothly. While we understand that a few families are unable to commit to volunteer hours, we prefer that all our members share the workload that benefits our skaters. We value your participation, however, in the interest of fairness, volunteer cheques serve as a commitment to assist our club with its functions.
Families who intend to volunteer are required to pre-authorize the payment of the Volunteer Fee but we will delay processing the payment. Upon completion of the required volunteer hours, we will reverse the pre-authorized charge before it is debited from your credit card. If you volunteer and partially complete your required volunteer hours, the full Volunteer Fee will be will be debited from credit card as we do not pro-rate the Volunteer fee.
Families who elect to opt out of volunteering will be required to pay the full Volunteer Opt out Fee upon Check Out when completing your registration and your family will not be required to fulfill volunteer hours.
There are various tasks available throughout the year. Desk duties comprise the majority of the volunteer hours available and are arguably the easiest way to fulfil your volunteer time commitment.
Aside from desk duties, the club also requires a variety of talents and skills to keep the club progressive and successful. Skills in content management systems, word processing, fundraising and grant writing are always an asset to the club. We also require assistance with club clothing, desk coordination, volunteer administration, promotions as well as organizing club events. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are able to contribute a talent or skill that we have not listed.
Volunteer updates and requests for desk shifts coverage are sent out regularly by email and a list of available volunteer opportunities will be updated regularly on the Volunteer Sign Up page in our registration system.
The member(s) that volunteer for desk duties take care of a number of tasks including taking attendance and answering questions. It is also an excellent way to get to know other families involved in the club.
More importantly, desk coverage ensures that we have a member available to assist the coaches in the event of accidents, evacuation or other emergencies.